./010editor - install hangs on Fedora Linux

When I’m executing ./010editor - install it does nothing.
Program not finishes, just hanging until I press Ctrl-C.
I’m using Fedora 40 now, but the same issue was on Fedora 39 and Fedora 38.

It does execute successfully if run it as root via sudo.
How can I diagnose what is preventing it to run using ordinary user account?

Hello Oleg. You can try to run the command:

010editor -resetall

If that does not solve the problem then you may have a permission issue. 010 Editor writes to two directories on install:

~/.local/share/SweetScape/010 Editor
 ~/.config/SweetScape/

Please check the ownership and permissions of those directories and the files inside. Let us know if you need instructions on how to check and change permissions. Please let us know what you find as we would like to understand why the install failed.

Graeme
SweetScape Software

Hello!

Lead to the same result as ./010editor -install

I simply deleted those directories.
./01editor -install creates an empty ~/.local/share/SweetScape/010 Editor with proper permissions.

I don’t remember which version of the editor I used before, but surly it was a version that was released before Nov 2020(after that free updates period ended).
Last year, I upgraded my license to get the latest version, and run into the issues.

The problem is caused by Wayland. For whatever reason, the bundled QT version with the Wayland plugin will just cause the application to hang. It happens on ArchLinux running Plasma 6 as well. The fix is to force X11 by setting the QT_QPA_PLATFORM environment variable to xcb. To run the install, just run this:

env QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb ./010editor -install

After the install finished, edit the *.desktop file at ~/.local/share/applications/010editor.desktop and change the “Exec=” line to include the environment variable as well. So if it looked like this:

Exec=/opt/010editor/010editor %f

Change it to this:

Exec=env QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb /opt/010editor/010editor %f

This should allow you to run 010editor just fine. :slight_smile: